Southwest Quinoa Salad
You want to know what one of my favorite things about getting married is? You gain a whole other family on top of what God already bestowed you with. There are more people to meet, get to know, and love! It is a truly wonderful blessing. While my family lives all over the United States and get togethers are rare and usually small; my husband, Benjamin's family is all here in the Carolina's. His family is more than a family tree; it's a family forest. So when there's a family fish fry, you want to make sure you bring a side that can feed everyone.
In racking my brain, I decided to make a ginormous batch of quinoa salad and give it a southwestern spin! It's refreshing, has a kick, and is healthy! Turned out to be a hit and was polished off, so for all that would like my recipe whether you got to try some or not...here you go!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the pictures and links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you. :)
(I recommend the day before for the best results.):
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 4-5 chopped green onions
- 2 chopped jalapeño
- 1 bottle of cilantro lime vinaigrette (I like the one from Aldi)
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the quinoa according to your quinoa's instructions, but instead sub chicken broth instead of water for flavor. It really give the salad a hands up in the starting flavor. Once it is cooked; get it cooling down while you prepare you other ingredients.
- Prepare all produce by giving a good wash and patting it dry, then chop it all and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain and rinse cans of beans. Add them to the same large mixing bowl.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add to large mixing bowl as well as add items for seasoning and dressing. Mix it all up, and let it season for an hour or so in the fridge before serving.
You can definitely mix it up and change the proportions on all the veggies according to your own personal taste. It is part of what makes quinoa salad fun! Enjoy!
I hope this recipe is as big of a hit in all of your crowds as it was mine. Summer is such a wonderful time of family barbecues, back yard parties, reunions, fish frys and the best of memory making moments. Let's make the best of it shall we?
PS: Aunt Jerry, sorry for the long wait for the recipe. Love you! :)