RECIPE: Southwest Quinoa Salad - Shortcut Edition

Hi friends,

During this time of quarantine, even I am cooking more meals than I usually do.  Cooking is most definitely my love language....but even I get worn out on it.  So, if I discover a short cut to making a fan favorite recipe of mine, I am most definitely going to share it!

If you have a Lidl grocery store nearby, then this recipe is for you!  That is where I get most of my groceries from for I can get a lot better products for a whole lot less.  I am all about stretching that dollar so that we can eat better food.  Everything except for the quinoa came from there because I already had some on hand.  The main thing that makes this a shortcut recipe is the freshly made black bean and corn salsa from Lidl's cooler section.  You can find it near the hummus.  It has everything that you need so that all you have to chop is the kale...which I also get from Lidl's produce area.


SOUTHWESTERN QUINOA SALAD - Shortcut Edition
Prepared in advance before making the salad (I recommend the day before for the best results.):

  • 4-6 cups cooked quinoa (about two cups uncooked) Note: Cook in chicken broth for flavor
Produce:
  • 2 cups of chopped kale
  • One container of fresh Black Bean Corn Salsa. (I found this in the hummus area in the coolers at Lidl.  Best money I have ever spent, for it already has all of the ingredients chopped for you.)

Dressing:
  • 1 lime - juiced
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil

Dry:
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Prepare the quinoa according to your quinoa's instructions, but instead sub chicken broth instead of water for flavor. It really gives the salad a hand up in the starting flavor. Once it is cooked; get it cooling down.  (I cooked mine in the morning and then placed in the fridge.  It was good to go for dinner)
  2. Once quinoa is cooled, place in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add chopped kale, fresh salsa, and items for seasoning and dressing. Mix it all up and enjoy!
PLOT TWIST:  You can toss a serving or two in a frying pan with some avocado oil and some cooked chicken for a warmer version and to make it a meal. 

This makes enough for me and my husband to eat about three meals each.  I served it up with some Gluten-free multigrain chips, hummus, and rotisserie chicken.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  Cutting the chopping time to next to nothing is quite the dream! 

Happy Pilgrimming!

Destiny 

Comments

Popular Posts